I brought up this last class (on the new screening machine designed for better airport security) but didn't really elaborate on it, so here goes!
The new machine that Homeland Security has devised in order to "make America safer" is known as MALINTENT, which was developed by the Human Factors division in the Department of Homeland Security. This machine, unlike screening machines in the past, does not detect for any specific devices that would cause terrorism (such as bombs, knives, knitting needles...), but instead searches for non-verbal cues in your body which show potential terroristic actions. MALINTENT does not hook up to your body with sensors or anything like that; it is more like an x-ray machine that you can walk through. This machine has sensors that measure your body temperature, heart rate, respiration, and other such body functions. In addition to quantitative measurements, the machine also has something called micro-facial scanning, which "measures minute muscle movements in the face for clues to mood and intention."
If the sensors determine that you are indeed suspicious of terroristic intent, the machine then notifies those working in the security area. They then can decide whether to detain you for further questioning.
Issues have already arisen on this machine, such as the idea that all your medical problems and emotions are open to the analysts watching the machines, and whether your measurements will be remembered and kept. Apparently, though, the machine immediately gets rid of your data--it will not track who you are.
Personally, I think the idea of this machine is horrifying. Although it is meant to better secure our country, the idea that every time I walk through security, a machine will read me and determine whether my thoughts are appropriate for me to get on a plane without endangering other passengers is appalling! I feel that this is just one more way that the government can gain control over our lives, and who knows?! Perhaps one day the government will decide to keep our data--our emotions, our medical problems, everything the machine can read--for some yet to be determined important reason (most likely regarding Homeland Security). The article (which I will link at the end of this) ends with this: "Once MALINTENT is rolled out in airports, it could give us a future where we can once again wander onto planes with super-sized cosmetics and all the bottles of water we can carry — and most importantly without that sense of foreboding that has haunted Americans since Sept. 11."
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,426485,00.html
So I'm interested...what do you guys think??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Personally, i find the Malintent machine to be terrifying. I understand what the government is trying to prevent. but I think this machine still needs to be worked on. There are simply too many reasons to have high blood pressure, a temperature, and violent thought at the airport. Think of the angry travelers who are tired, and the crying babies, and rude people who cut you in line, everyone has violent thoughts at the airport. If this is where airport security is heading then it won't be long before I'll be setting the Malintent sensors off and I'll be suspected of being a terrorist, along with every other bad traveler in the world.
This is probably one of the scariest things that I have seen. This same kind of technology can be applied to so many different aspects of our lives that it chills me to the bone. What if I am coming back from Vegas after loosing all of my money, and I have a few thoughts of punching the dealer in the face. If this machine picks up on this I would be screwed. Personally, my mind is something I would like to keep to myself no matter where I am. Also, this machine leaves so much to interpretation, and it only skims the surface and judges you without knowing you. The worst part of all of this is how happily the author of the article talk about this thing, and the video was even more happy. It was scary. Thanks Nikki.
Post a Comment