Thursday, October 2, 2008

Sarah Palin in the Vice Presidential Debate

The vice presidential debate, which is being held at Washington University in St. Louis this year, will be a significant milestone in this campaign. Not only is this the seventh vice presidential debate in American history, but it is also one of the most highly anticipated vice presidential debates.

Sarah Palin started off by approaching Joe Bidden and asking, "Can I call you Joe?" showing the charismatic side of her that appeals to Americans. The first question, of course, was one regarding the economy, and again Sarah Palin brought in the average Americans--parents sitting on the sidelines of a soccer game--in an attempt to relate to the average American people.

It was fascinating to see--and this is a very opinion based statement--Sarah Palin spinning John McCain's comment (stated two weeks earlier on the fact that the fundamentals of the economy were good) by claiming that John McCain was talking to and about the American workforce. She then went on to mention "Joe Six Pack and hockey moms," who "represent" the American people.

I loved Joe Bidden's comment on the "ultimate bridge to nowhere," referencing the health care plan proposed by John McCain. However, later on in the debate, Palin's comment on "I'm new in Washington government, so I don't understand the way it works...why would you vote for the war and now are adamantly against the war" was an obvious "I am so naive; I am the good person here" comment.

It just frustrates me to no end the extent of acting and insincerity going on in politics.
I feel like Sarah Palin does not even understand some of the questions or topics asked in this debate; her answers seem practiced and prepared by the McCain campaign. It is so obvious when she doesn't know what to say; she just changes the topic or brings up the "average American people" or starts talking about something else! Instead of dancing around the topic, or changing the direction of the topic all together, just answer the question truthfully so that people can actually understand the proposed policies and decide who to vote for!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nikki, I agree with your opinions on regarding the V.P. debate last night. It does seem totally apparent that the authenticity that Palin tried to achieve in the debate was subverted by the whole notion that her speech was prepared and rehearsed (at least it seemed that way). However, the fact the she was able to look into the camera at all times did make her seem like she was talking to us while it felt like I was merely observing all of the things that Bidden was talking about in a detached way. But back to Palin, I am still not convinced, while I feel that I have a new respect for Bidden who, prior to this, was just some old senator.
It was undeniably an interesting campaign on both ends and I liked what the "talking heads" said after the debate. It was something to the effect that, "I think what was seen here tonight will create more affection within the parties for their respective V.P. candidates, however, there was no real reach across party lines from either nominee." Republicans probably felt that Palin did better than expected while Democrats felt that Bidden has finally come out and proven his experience and abilities developed in the Senate.
It is funny how what was thought of as a bold and groundbreaking V.P. candidate choice originally may prove to be ultimate failure of the McCain campaign. That isn't to say that Bidden has been doing much for Obama, but he isn't hurting the campaign in the way that Palin has the potential for.